The CEFSG Matrix has been designed with both the advanced researcher and the novice in mind. When you first arrive at the Matrix you will be given the option to "Enter the Matrix Now" or to opt for the "Navigation Chart Please".
If you know little or nothing about the structure of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) then we suggest that you first spend some time in the Navigation Chart. There you will quickly see how the Matrix is structured around the organization of the CEF and how you can then find where the unit that your special person served with is located within that structure. If you are experienced with the structure of the CEF, then you may wish to go directly into the Matrix and find the units your are looking for in either the Army Corps or the Army Troops. Keep in mind that this is a "work in progress" and not every unit has yet to be included in the matrix.
Once you enter the matrix directly, or through the navigation chart, you will come to the "Matrix Entrance Page" where you will then find more details about what resources are available on the Matrix. Your primary choices at this point are to go directly into "The CEF Organization", or to learn more about "The Matrix Utilities".
If you directly into the CEF Organization, you will now be able to go through all the levels of the Army Corps (the primary front-line fighting forces or Divisions) or into the Army Troops (the support units such as the Cavalry Brigades, Artillery, Engineers, Medical, etc.). Before you take that step, you might want to take a quick look at what is available in the Matrix Utilities for here you will find a host of useful information, such as:
- Matrix Updates - sign up for notifications;
- Summary Tables - links to summaries of all of the Army Corps and Army Troops units, with "quick links" to their Forum Postings, War Diaries, and Matrix Pages, along with other useful information;
- Web Site Links - the most complete resource on web sites with detailed information on the soldiers, units and battles of the Great War, from 1914 to present;
- War Diary Resources - details on the progress of researchers around the globe that are transcribing World War One Diaries of the individual CEF units, or if you can not wait, links to the sources for the actual diaries as prepared during the Great War; and
- Other Utilities - maps, aerial views, definitions and ORBATS (Orders of Battle) to enhance your research studies.
The "Matrix Team" (you will see them identified on individual pages) are working constantly to bring you new information in a form that is readily accessible and easy to use. We are however all "volunteers recruits" and our work may not be perfect, it certainly has no guarantees, and we always welcome new members with new questions or ideas.
If you have any questions or comments about the "Matrix Project", please leave your comments here or alternatively "Register at the Forum" and then make a post under "CEF Study Group Projects / CEF Unit Matrix". If you prefer to send an e-mail, you will find my contact information in the footer of every Matrix page.